This may be a bit geeky, but needed to spell out 5 sound reasons why we need to be excited about the release of “Batman Begins” as opposed to spending too much geek energy on Star Wars episode III:
1. Christian Bale – look, this guy has done it all – as a kid he did everything from POW in Steven Spielberg’s ‘Empire of the Sun” to being a tap dancing/ singing Disney kid in Newsies. He has been flying under radar for a while, but his work in American Psycho, his Robert DeNiro method approach (“watch me lose 75 pounds for a role”) in The Machinist have certainly poised him for the big time. And lets face it – no one in George Lucas’ stable of actors have played Jesus while Christian Bale took on the role. The only thing going for Stars Wars in the acting stable is Ewan… but even Obi Wan is lookin’ bored…
2. Batman is not a tired story line – Star Wars is. Common friends, the Star Wars so-called mytho-universe is a tired, worn out place. When you start intorducing CGI characters like Jar Jar Binks… it is time to hang up the camera and move on to another project. Batman has continues to be a fruitful universe to dwell in and continues to be. Basically, Batman provides a story… Star Wars provides some flashy effects.
3. George Lucas vs. Christopher Nolan: lets face it – Lucas just can’t direct, shouldnt be writing scripts , and needs to focus on his merchandise empire. Best Star Wars film hands down?! Empire Strikes Back. Why? Cus’ George Lucas wasnt involved in the way he has been.
4. Star Wars has a closed, predicable story arc (ie. Anakin is going to join the Dark Side and become Darth Vader – everyone knows this) where Batman conitnues to develop and change.
5. Batman develops in a Tibetan dojo… Anakin Skywalker is a whiner who is genetically gifted for the ‘Force’ – people can relate to Batman, but very few can relate to genetic mutant who whines.